Thursday, May 05, 2011

Change.

So, it has been two years since I last posted on my blog. I feel moved this week to make a reappearance...

I know leaving a job and a company you really love working for is hard. But imagine trying to leave a company you have spent most of your (short) professional career convincing others to come and work for. It has been more difficult than I ever imagined. But, it is something I feel prepared for at least…

I have always thought myself to be one who thrives on change. I attribute this now (though reluctantly because that would make my mom right yet again) to constantly being exposed to change as a normal part of life. From the time I was 6 years old until my junior year of high school my life was one big change parade. I moved 2000 miles away from my family and friends in one hot summer week. Quickly , I established new friends and learned to cope with seeing my dad and the rest of my extended family during the summer months. Close to the time I turned 16, we turned right back around and headed east to Michigan once more – 10 years of my life invested in a place I hardly get back to. I went from a high school of nearly 3000 students to a school of less than 700 nearly overnight. A small fish in a big pond to a big fish in a small pond – I know, I know it seems like a piece of cake, doesn’t it? At the time, it was a miserable experience and I never imagined being able to forgive my mom for making me move in the prime of my high school career. I didn’t know any better – I was a kid. As much as I still miss some of my friends from Henderson, I have since thanked my mom for moving us back. I never would have went to Hope, spent a semester in DC, or met my husband – those are the clear obvious reasons. But, it also helped me welcome change and know how to adjust to new things at lightning speed.

Change doesn’t scare me, it excites me. But, it is still really, really hard. Just like moving when I was 16 was hard because of all my friends and relationships I had made, it is hard for me to think about not seeing some of the amazing people I have had the opportunity to work with over the last 6 years. I thrive on meeting new people, building relationships, surrounding myself with friends and just generally being a part of people’s lives.

But I was comfortable and I don’t like comfortable. I love change and newness and flourish by starting over from scratch frequently. It’s time to move on! And, I need to follow my heart and do what I feel called to do. It isn’t easy, but it feels right…

So, thanks, mom for helping me to welcome change and be the change. Because of you I am successful in life and in my work. Your little girl is off to even bigger and better things. Happy Mother’s Day!